An Introduction to the Performance of Bach: A
progressive anthology of keyboard music edited, with introductory essays
(in three books), Oxford University Press, 1959-1997.
- Essays on (a) Fingering, (b) Phrasing, (c) Dynamics, (d) Touch, (e)
The Function and Use of the Pedals, (f) Ornamentation, (g) Harpsichord,
Clavichord, and Piano, (h) Bach's Attitude to Music and Instruments - and
- Music: Application in C Major (S. 994), Chorale "Joy and Peace" (S.
512), Musette in D Major (S. Anh. 126), Minuet in G Major (S. Anh. 116),
Minuet in G Minor (S. Anh. 115), March in D Major (S. Anh. 122), March in
E flat Major (S. Anh. 127), Polonaise in F Major (S. Anh. 117a).
- Further Notes on (a) Ornamentation, (b) Fingering, and (c) Phrasing,
and an Essay on (d) Practical Uses of the Pedal. Also, Essays on (e) How
to think contrapuntally, (f) How to learn to play contrapuntal structures,
and (g) How to play a fugue.
- Music: Two-Part Invention in C Major (S. 772), Contrapuntal Study
(arranged by Rosalyn Tureck), Three-Part Fantasia in G Minor (S. 917),
Four-Part Prelude and Fugue in A Minor (S. 895).
- Essay on (a) Manuscripts and Editions, Further Notes on (b) Fingering,
(c) Dynamics, (d) Ornamentation, and Essays on (e) Practical Uses of the
Sustaining Pedal, and (f) Repeated Sections.
- Music: Suite in F Minor (S. 823), Suite in A Major (S. 824), and Aria
and Ten Variations in the Italian Style (S. 989).
All 3 books